Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Eleven year old feeding the hungry

As a fifth-grader, Jack Davis learned about how government works, even drafting pretend legislation in his social studies class.
A year later, 11-year-old Jack is pressing for a real law -- one that could help feed Florida's homeless.

The sixth-grader is being credited for inspiring a bill that will allow restaurants and hotels to donate leftover food to places like homeless shelters and not face legal liabilities.

For years, many eateries and other places have simply thrown the food away, rather than face a lawsuit if someone got sick.

"I kind of used my social studies teacher's advice," said Jack, a sixth-grader at Ransom Everglades School. "She told us to make a difference."

His fifth-grade social studies teacher is delighted Jack took her lesson to heart.

"I pretty much want all my students to be as much as they can be and to go for it," said Deborah Rogero, a fifth-grade teacher at Saint Thomas Episcopal Parish in Coral Gables. "It's their responsibility to make the world a better place."


Read it all here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just want Jack to know that when I was watching the news this evening it filled my heart with joy and brought tears to my eyes to hear that an eleven year old had such compassion for people that are less fortune then he. Go Bless and keep you. Anne from Nevada

Mike Croghan said...

Hey Ann,

This isn't in regard to this blog post - though it is a beautiful story! - but I just wanted to reply and ask your forgiveness for making you feel unwelcome on my blog. As Helen mentioned, and as my blog title indicates, I can be rude sometimes. I truly do want folks in more traditional church contexts - and especially my fellow Anglicans - to feel welcome and invited to join in the emerging church conversation. And there's *nothing* wrong with reading books and studying and discussing it - I did that for years myself before making contact. I was just trying (in a crude manner and sleep-deprived state) to make the point (which I obviously do feel strongly about) that this web of relationships is fundamental to what "emerging church" is, and that there's no way to "get it" without entering into that web of relationships. It would be like trying to understand the Anglican way of being Church without ever experiencing an Anglican liturgy. Hope that helps a little to explain where I was coming from, though it doesn't excuse my rudeness in the least, and hope you can forgive me.

Peace,
Mike